Thursday, April 3, 2008

643.12 -- Homeowners-to-be

About a month ago, a small progressive library system offered me just the position I had been waiting for since setting my sights on the library profession. Within days of that job offer, Matt and I started looking at houses and auditioning mortgage companies. After 15 or so houses, three mortgage brokers, two house inspectors, three each of radon and HVAC quotes, and the appraisal, we are finally ready to close on our new house.

I'm happy to report that the payoff has been worth it. We close on the house this Tuesday, after which we'll start the cosmetic changes that are so much easier to do before moving furniture in. Luckily, there's not a whole lot we'll have to do.

Among the joys of having a new place to call home, I'm looking forward to having a real address. Before, we had a "physical address" and an "address of record" for tax, vehicle, and voting purposes. This is the first time as a married couple that we'll be able to call a place our one and only home. It's a source of unexpected joy for both Matt and me.

Plus, no more moving for about ten years! :)