Wednesday, June 15, 2011

uh... what??

"We're going to assume it's MRSA."

How would you like to hear that coming from your child's pediatrician? What's that? No, I didn't think so. I didn't react too well to it either. I think much clutching and hugging of Natalie was involved. And a few tears.

That said, after some research, I discovered that MRSA is not quite the death sentence I imagined. After hearing about cases in the news, it's easy to assume the worst. Sure, it's more common now than it was, say, 10 years ago. And it is becoming increasingly resistant to more antibiotics. But for now, for my little girl, it's completely treatable.

We won't know if she actually has MRSA until this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest. For now, she's on treatment as if she does have it, and we're keeping a close eye on her temperature, temperament and infection site. For now, she seems to be responding well.

Thank God.


Natalie on the day of her 18 month pictures. She had just gotten three shots, and she already had what would turn out to be a staph infection. And she's still this darn cute.