Tuesday, January 6, 2009

025.3 -- Just like a real library!

You may recall my joy at having input my, er, our entire library into Shelfari last year. That excitement, complete as it was, has been surpassed. A few days ago, I discovered GuruLib. It's a lot like Shelfari, except that you can also add DVDs, CDs, software, and games to your library. More importantly, it's a snap to set items to "Out" if you loan them to people. And specify a due date! The downside is that it's not as pretty as Shelfari, but I'm getting over that. The reality is that we loan out our DVD collection more than our books, and it's tough keeping track of what's where. GuruLib has solved that problem. View our GuruLib library here.

Not only do I now have a complete home library, but I was able to use my newest nerdy toy to input our DVDs. Enter CueCat, the friendly little personal barcode scanner. Sure, I could have entered the title or ISBN into GuruLib and done a regular old search. But what's the fun in that?

For anyone wondering, this CueCat has already been "declawed." For Mac users, I'm interested to know how Delicious Library stacks up... the fact that you can hook up your iPod would make adding digitally purchased songs much easier!