Friday, March 7, 2008

551.555 -- Snowstorms

Snow started falling early this morning, crippling the tri-state. While many were able to get to work, getting home may be a different story entirely. What's that you say? You want to know how many inches we have? So far, there are less than three inches outside my door. I can still see grass peeking through.

Yet schools, companies, even medical offices are canceling plans and closing their doors. The news was overrun last night with stories about quantities of rock salt, terrified citizens stocking up at their local grocery, and schools already closing in anticipation of today's blizzard-like conditions.

If we hadn't lived in the "remote tundra" of Northern New York for nearly three years, I probably would be in the same boat as the late-night, stocked-up, grocery shoppers. But I just can't get flustered over a few inches of snow.



Last February, our tiny town of Sackets Harbor experienced an honest-to-God blizzard. (That's my car, about three yards from the door to my house.)


The street in front of our house, three days after the storm. I've been told by people who haven't lived there that the road treatment system in New York is better than in Ohio. You can barely make out the road.


Matt's truck three days after the blizzard. Another great shot of the road -- still covered in snow after three days.